Sangili Bungili Kadhava Thorae

                      As usual, I wanted to begin with a witty remark or a catchy line(sort of) but the only line that I could think of is a spoiler for the review and not exactly accurate too. So we'll come to that later.

                 The plot summary of this movie is actually quite predictable if you know what to expect from a comedy horror film in Tamil. A real estate agent's biggest dream is to buy a house as he has had many bitter experiences with the many house owners of his previous homes. He thus wants to buy a house by hook or by crook. The house that he finally buys turns out to have some other claimants and that leads to other complications, not to mention the resident ghost of the house. The rest of the movie is about how the hero reacts to these situations and how he retains his house(because let's face it he is definitely going to win).

             If you are acquainted with the recent Tamil horror films, then you will know that this is the basic template for every one of them. The hero and his family ends up in a palace like house in an unnamed village for some reason which varies from movie to movie, he discovers a 'supernatural presence' and then by enlisting the help of some outsider, he finds out the story of the ghost and drives it away. This isn't a spoiler. This is the story of every and I mean literally every horror movie in Tamil with one or two exceptions.

                Another important part of these horror movies is a host of comedians. The entire movie hinges on their support. On that part, this movie is really lucky. With Kovai Sarala, Thambi Ramaiah, Suri and Motta Rajendran, this movie has all the leading comedians both old and new. It's a pity that they get very little time to showcase their talents completely. Some of them are given enough time while the others are barely on screen. The other actors are also quite awesome. Veterans like Radhika and Radha Ravi and younger actors like Jiiva and Sri Divya take care of the serious parts of the movie.

              But this movie has its disadvantages. For a horror movie, the actual ghost doesn't make an appearance until after the intermission. Also there is the fear factor. Or, the lack of it. I know ghost movies are just jump scares and loud noises but here the proportion seemed a bit skewed. There was too much noise without any apparent jump scares. There is too much of sentiment and too little comedy or horror for a comedy horror film. The songs are all inappropriate and the lyrics comical. It seems that the director, whose ancestry was kind of apparent from the unnecessary pictures of M R Radha in the credits and the presence of two of his children in the movie, went overboard trying to give a complete movie. This movie has comedy, romance, emotion and horror and too many genres spoiled the movie.

                    But I must definitely cut some slack, for this is the director's debut film. For a debut, this is definitely  a good effort but I hope his future movies are not as average as this one. My friends and others of my generation will rate this film as 'bad' at best because they find a soggy romance and mother-son emotion disappointing. But the majority of the Tamil audience are older and want emotion and sentiment. I want to elaborate on the likes and dislikes of the younger generation but I am sure I will get another opportunity to do so. And before I forget, here's the one-line review that one of my friends gave for this  movie:
                                     
  "Vijay TV serial-a idhukku paravailla da!"

             But as you already know, I am a generous guy and I have to take into account the ideas of all kinds of movie goers. So here's the final review as I didn't note down any dialogues for quotes:

6/10 - Good

Comments

Post a Comment