The World's Worst Book
After Till the Last Breath, I thought I would actually like this book and my friend was just wrong about Durjoy's books. Turns out she got it right because that book was probably an exception. While that was a wow, this one is wtf.
Everything about this book is messed up, right from the plot. A girl with vitiligo(Aranya), or patchy skin, in layman's terms, is shunned by her classmates and her parents love her brother more than her. One day, she meets this boy(Dhruv Roy) who she becomes friends with as he is also an outcast because his parents are divorced. (His mother, a teacher at the school is sleeping with the Principal.) They fall in love and get caught kissing. That's when the real mess begins.
She lies to escape and then he lies to get her into trouble and gets expelled while she gets a good old slap from her father. He then grows up to be a crazy guy on steroids to grow muscles(does he remind you of Dushyant? They even have the same last name. The obligatory Bengali guy I guess.) They then end up in the same college and they realise they both still want to destroy each other, oh sorry, that they still love each other. You know, because where there is hate, there's love.
Seriously, I do not have a problem with this stuff at all. I am okay with hate being equated to love. But as the story goes on, it's like this guy just wants to torture us as much as he can. There are too many drug scenes there should actually be a disclaimer on the cover. I don't have any problem with that but some 12 year old girl expecting a romance novel might end up reading about the life of an alcoholic. Also, all men are either alcoholic or abusive. If they are actually good, they don't end up with the woman that they love. Oh, I didn't mention the bakra (goat in Hindi, an animal generally used for sacrifices) of the story, did I? He's a genius called Raghuvir. In Tamil cinema, he would be the equivalent of the America Mappillai(Harish of 2 States is a good example). I guess Durjoy hated college professors who were actually good at their job.
I was waiting for it to get at least a little bit better, but it just kept getting a lot worse. The fault lies with the girl at the beginning but then it turns out it was the guy's mistake. Why? Because the author wants it to be his mistake. Unfortunately, I won't be able to give the most terrible rating of 0/10 because it seems that he got to know that I like good endings. But it seems so forced. It's as if he was dying to end it in a worse way, but just had to make it good, so he did a shoddy job and put together a barely acceptable ending. It doesn't help that throughout the book, Aranya keeps mentioning how Dhruv is such a shitty guy to be with and how eligible Raghuvir is. I would have been a little more convinced that Dhruv and Aranya were soulmates if we had any evidence of them bonding, other than them planning to annihilate each other.
The worst part about this book is not the plot, but the stupid title. I mean, who is that boyfriend? If you think that's Dhruv, think again. Nobody who read this book would describe him as Aranya's boyfriend, let alone the best. I actually think it's Raghuvir because that makes more sense. I think Durjoy named the book after Raghuvir to make up for the pathetic ending that he gets.
Also, there are a few words in this book about how appearances are deceptive and how beauty is based on complexion due to the influence of media. But Durjoy messes up again and changes the message of the book when the only guy who actually believes that beauty lies on the inside ends up alone.
Also, there are a few words in this book about how appearances are deceptive and how beauty is based on complexion due to the influence of media. But Durjoy messes up again and changes the message of the book when the only guy who actually believes that beauty lies on the inside ends up alone.
Even the worst books have some good things but this book is so bad it has only one. The female protagonist, Aranya is a very intelligent and sly girl who wants to impress her teachers(like me) and sleep with one of them(NOT LIKE ME). If it wasn't for the stupid decision in the end, she would be my favourite female nerd and not Pihu Malhotra.
Now, I can hear you asking me why the hell did you read this book if you hate it so much? Well I wanted to pass on the message to Rachu. See, I have a lot of eBooks and many of them come with the following message in a few pages:
I Love u Rachu
Dear Frnds pls share this book so my msg to my rachu get forwared as soon as possible
I Really Love u Rachu so so much
I Think she know my name
I am really not making it up. I am not sure where I downloaded this book from but if you download books all the time like I do, you are bound to get this in one of them. This is the most interesting part of this book.
Now, I'll move on to the quotes:
For the past few months, there were rumours of his mother having a torrid, Mills-and-Boon-esque affair with the principal, who also owned the school and three other branches.
Dhruv was expelled immediately. He and his father shifted to a cheaper apartment on the outskirts of the city, and Aranya spent the remainder of her school life at the fringes, being known as the ugliest girl ever!
"Sir, I’m willing to be the volunteer. I’m your best choice. I will be a good student and will always be by your side. You can trust me. In moments of despair when you feel like your best days as a college professor are over, I will stand up and tell you how you changed my life as a professor." Aranya could have said this but he gingerly raised her hand and kept her mouth shut.
(This is why I like this girl)
‘Dude, the anger, the brooding eyes, the mysterious aura around you, the veiny, big arms, the sarcasm, it’s like you’re trying to woo me. And if you had the boobies, I would totally go for you. In fact that’s one of my long-standing fantasies. I love a girl with muscles. Don’t raise your eyebrows like that.’
‘Anamika? Are you trying to get pregnant? I have no problems with you fucking every boy in the college but you can’t do it on the dance floor. Dance, don’t grind. I don’t want professors to think we are vulgar. Be sensuous, not vulgar.
I thought of a few more sensible quotes that might have been written when the author wasn't as high as he was when he wrote the rest of the book, but for such a shitty book, these quotes are more than enough.
Now for the rating:
1/10 - Bad(I am giving this one mark for Aranya being a nerd otherwise it would be a zero.)
Note: This book is clearly not recommended for anyone below 15 because it almost has some incest. Aranya's brother is Sameer and later she sexts a guy called Sameer. Same spelling. I know that there can be many people with the same name but when you are writing fiction, couldn't you get any name for the guy who shows his penis to a girl other than her brother's? How high were you, when you wrote this book?

Comments
Post a Comment