Mahanati (2018)

I planned to write this review as soon as I saw this film last month but due to various reasons I couldn't. But as I haven't done a review in quite some time and also because I feel this movie deserves one, here we are!


The plot of this movie can easily be found by having a short conversation with a relative(preferably female) over the age of 65 or 70. I feel this is one of the serious issue that all biopics face: the story is already well known and can be easily accessed thanks to the internet. Still director Nag Ashwin has taken up the challenge and created a movie based on the life of the first Female Superstar of South Indian Cinema, Savitri. 

While the surprise element is certainly lost, the story itself is quite interesting. The meteoric rise of a simple village girl into a star and finding the love of her life in the process is quite an interesting premise. But when dealing with the life of popular people, the success of the film almost entirely hinges on the acting ability of the actors involved. On that front this movie exceeds all expectations. The cast of this film is star studded with veterans like Rajendra Prasad, Bhanupriya and Tanikella Bharani and more recent stars like Samantha Akkineni and Vijay Deverakonda. All of them are perfect in their roles. The casting has to be appreciated as most of the actors have been chosen such that they resemble the characters that they portray. Dulquer as Gemini Ganesan is absolutely charming while Samantha and Vijay as journalists refuse to fade before the main story of Savitri's life and do justice to their characters.

A separate review can be written to describe how wonderful Keerthy Suresh was in this movie. Along with looking exactly like the yesteryear actress in certain scenes, Keerthy proves that she is not yet another actress who is only fit for playing second fiddle to the heroes. While the task of playing one of the greatest Indian actresses is not easy Keerthy tries and succeeds admirably.

The music by Mickey J Meyer is great and each one of the songs are very apt to the situation unlike most recent movies in which the songs are practically forced into the movie.

Despite all this, there are people who feel there is so much missing in the film. While the task of telling the story of such a great actress within 3 hours is a difficult one in itself, the director has done his best to cover most of the significant movies and incidents in her life.

The director and the entire cast and crew should be appreciated for delivering such a quality movie. After a long time, I have come across a movie that I was able to watch almost four times in two languages. Thus the score is

10/10 - Awesome       

Comments